Blog Post 4

1. What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?
  2. In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g., make notes, do an activity, or think about the topic (learner-generated)?
  3. What activity could you suggest that they do after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?
  4. How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

The video I will be using for my students is “Budgeting 101: How To Do A Monthly Budget If Paid Biweekly Or Every Two Weeks”. The interaction that I would expect from my students after watching the video is for them to write down a list of fixed expenses that are necessary, and a list of variable expenses that mostly consist of wants, which can be adjusted accordingly. I would hope that the video would make students respond in an inherent way because the video goes over in depth about the income you’re earning biweekly and monthly, as well as the expenses that one would have to incur. The goal is to make the video a learning tool that will force students to think about their financial well-being, as well as their spending habits.

As demonstrated in the video, students are expected to make notes of some sort by either noting down the monthly expenses that are considered fixed and variable, assessing the income they’re making, or creating a budget sheet that helps students track their spending habits. This can help students think about where to cut back on certain expenses to allow them to have monthly savings.

The activity I would suggest students to complete after watching the video is completing a budget sheet. This would be done via google sheets as it is free and easily accessible compared to Microsoft Excel. It comes with many templates that are customizable which can further increase the learning process for students. This activity would help students develop the skills of planning, budgeting, decision-making, attention to detail, identifying the difference between needs and wants, and forecasting for the future.

Students will be receiving feedback via google classroom, and the feedback will be assessed by providing all their fixed/required expenses, variable expenses, the structure of their budget sheet, correctly showing their monthly income (after taxes), and the goals that students will be setting which will show their monthly savings. There will also be a requirement for a rationale as to why they set their monthly expenses to their corresponding values, which would show me the thinking behind their spending habits.

Resources:

Link to my comment on my peer’s post: https://danielhwheaton.opened.ca/blog-4/

One Response

• Hi Armaan! Thanks for sharing a budgeting tips video! It was really helpful and informative. Engaging in budget sheet activities after watching the video can definitely be an excellent way for students to apply what they’ve learned and take control of their finances. It allows them to put the knowledge into practice and develop practical skills in managing their money effectively.